What is IPL?
IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light; a non-invasive FDA-approved light therapy treatment, targeting the underlying inflammation which causes dry eye symptoms. This treatment is safe, gentle and backed by multiple clinical studies.
How does it work?
Light pulses penetrate the tissue and create heat, targeting the abnormal blood vessels that are the root cause of the inflammation. The body’s natural reaction to the treatment removes the abnormal vessels and heals the inflammation threatening the skin and eyelid.
What to Expect:
Prior to Treatment
- Certain medications can cause a reaction on the skin. Please discuss all medications with the doctor during your consultation.
- Some things to avoid/discontinue prior to treatment:
- Prolonged exposure to the sun/sunless tanning
- Use of Accutane (1 month prior)
- Exfoliative skin procedures, botox, or fillers (2-3 weeks prior)
- If you have a history of cold sores, take your prescribed medication on day before, day of and day after treatment. Please notify doctor.
- If you wear make-up: All make-up will be removed prior to treatment. It is best to come to the appointment with clean skin. It is ok to apply sunscreen and/or moisturizer- this will be removed prior to treatment.
- The appointments are 45 minutes long. The procedure lasts approximately 20 minutes. The remaining time will be for skin care pre/post treatment.
- For maximum comfort, a coupling gel is applied to the entire treatment area. For your eyes safety protective eye shields/pads are utilized during the procedure.
- The treatment light is very bright and warm on the skin but should not feel uncomfortable. The doctor will start with a test spot on your skin to allow you to experience the sensation.
- There is no “down time” and daily activities can be resumed the same day.
- Skin may be slightly red post procedure. This will improve throughout the day. SPF 50 will be applied in office. Make-up can be applied to the skin after treatments are complete.
- Hats and sunblock should be worn for outdoor time for 5-7 days after treatments.
- NO exfoliative skin care for 5 days post procedure. (Example: Retinol products) It is best to wait on any skin procedures until series is complete.
Typically, 4 sessions with 3-4 weeks in between are needed to achieve optimal results. Following the full series, we recommend a post series evaluation complete with 5M imaging to assess the